Friday, July 22, 2011

Greek Layer Dip

It is hot. Scorching. Something hotter than scorching. 

I am hiding out in my air conditioning and trying to pretend that it is not a sauna outside.

I am keeping it cool enough in here that I was able to shred with Jillian Michaels. 
Yep. And I used my oven. 

Now you're imagining my electricity bill. I'm trying to forget about that one and soothe myself with a treat I'll tell you about tomorrow...



Chris loves everything Greek. Greek food.  Greek wine. Greek language. 

So I decided to make the Seven Greek Layer Dip I saw on How Sweet It Is.

Mmmmmm Tzatziki..


One major hint: Don't skip on the feta. I learned that the hard way. 

And now...


this wonderfully stocked shelf has been emptied except for that awful block of dry, extra crumbly, low fat feta in the back. great.



But before I realized how awful low fat feta is, I made this delicious dip:

Seven Layer Greek Dip
makes a lot!
1 1/2 cups hummus of your choice
1 15-ounce can of kalamata olives, drained and chopped
1 15-ounce can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 large cucumber, peeled and chopped
4 ounces full fat feta
1 1/3 cups greek yogurt
3 tablespoons fresh dill
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped cucumber
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper
In a bowl, combine yogurt, dill, garlic, 3 tablespoons of cucumber, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and mix. In a large bowl, begin layering ingredients: the yogurt tzatziki, the chopped olives, the hummus, the chopped artichoke hearts, the feta, and the tomatoes and cucumber. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Serve with pita chips or use in wraps and sandwiches.

This doesn't keep very well so make sure are going to have a lot of people to feed this to or make a quarter of the size!  Even Chris who can usually eat enough for 2 to 3 people could only eat a small bowl full.

No comments:

Post a Comment